Wednesday, July 31, 2024

07/29 to 07/31 Twin Falls, Jerome Idaho & Rock Springs, WY

 07/29 to 07/31

Twin Falls KOA, Jerome, ID

and Rock Springs KOA, WY


To Twin Falls KOA, Jerome, ID

My drive to Idaho began early and with some suspense. It would be another 4+ hour trip but because of yesterday's encounter with wildfires, I checked my route for today. 

My location was the blue dot, my destination was Twin Falls in Idaho. The wildfire icons clustered to my south were ominous.

Upon closer examination, I saw that I-84 passed between them. Note in either view, there are no other roads for detouring. I set out hoping for the best.
I wasn't too long into my journey when I came upon this.

Wonderful. There was no Plan B unless one awaited me ahead thanks to the DOT.

As I continued, around each bend, I expected stopped traffic, flashing lights, or road signs giving instructions. It was early in the morning so there was hardly any traffic. So, onward it is.
The result? Nothing. No signs, no fires, no smoke; no indication that wildfires were in the area.  And so, my photo journey continued with awesome sights along the way. The observations, however, drove home that in this arid environment, everything was brown, tinder dry and ready fuel for fires.



One interesting sight...

...after another.




Driving over the Perrine Bridge on I-84 was impressive. It spans the Snake River Canyon near Twin Falls. 

The Perrine Bridge is a significant structure in the area, known for its impressive height and as a popular spot for BASE jumping. The bridge stands approximately 486 feet above the Snake River making it one of the highest bridges in the United States


My overnight stay at this campground was like most others: quiet, somewhat shaded and provided me with the power to keep my refrigerator running cold and my AC running to keep me cool. The Midwest heat has been generally in the 90's during the day and low 70's at night. Fortunately, while driving, I don't experience any of it.

Standing in the middle of the road, this is the view south and...

...this is the view north and to the exit. Tomorrow I'll be on the road by 8:30 a.m for my trip to Rock Springs, Wyoming

To Rock Springs KOA, Wyoming

As you can see, a lot of territory was covered and a lot of time taken to "get 'er done." I've passed through mountain ranges whose elevations varied from 3,000 ft to 7,000 ft. Rock Springs' elevation is 6,200. The sights along the way are my post cards to you. I tried to whittle the 90 photos to these precious few.






A common sight in my travels here in the west. As often mentioned, it's a day of riding to the horizon only to be greeted with another straight stretch to the next horizon. I measured this one. The tip of the arrow is on the crest of the next rise. From this point to the arrow is five miles. It'll take me 4½ minutes to get there.

Coasting downhills helps with fuel mileage...which will be negated by having to climb the next one.

While traveling on the level plains, numerous signs posted along the way warned of "lateral winds" and "strong gusty areas." This made the landscape perfect for wind turbines which dotted the flatlands. This is a lucky up close shot taken out my side window going 70 mph.

As you approach Rock Springs, WY, the land formations take on a different and startling look. A stark contrast in the terrain. These sedimentary layers of limestone and dolostone presented more WOW moments. This landscape is part of the Red Desert, a high-altitude desert with unique geological formations, sand dunes, and badlands. Badlands are a type of terrain characterized by heavily eroded, barren landscapes featuring steep slopes, minimal vegetation, and a complex network of gullies, ravines, and hoodoos. Awesome sights to enjoy.

They often have striking, multicolored layers of sedimentary rock, clay, and other materials, revealing a rich geological history.

The Green River Formation is particularly famous for its well-preserved fossil fish and other aquatic life.





Approaching the Green River Tunnel, a 1,138 foot tunnel that passes through a rock ridge in Green River, Wyoming.




I finally arrived at the Rock Springs KOA

Turning into the property, my first thought/impression: This is going to be H-O-T.


Temps were in the 90's and the wind that was blowing was a hot wind. With no humidity it was bearable. But looking around there wasn't a green plant to be seen anywhere.

By the time I was set up, around 5:00 the traffic picked up and I must have counted at least 10-15 rigs pulling in. By nightfall the place was pretty well filled.

Registration was right across the road from my site as were the restrooms, showers and laundry. To the left of the building was the pool. I think that's where they prepared the lobsters.

Oops. My mistake. I see green. AC to the rescue once again.

What made my day was the nice ladies reminding me that they serve pizzas but you have to put your order in before 8:00 pm when they close. I gave it a chance. Ordered mine (one size-large) upon checking in and she said it would be delivered whenever I wanted it. I chose 7:00 and that's when I received it.

I was pleasantly surprised. It actually looked like a pizza. A bready crust (could've been done a little longer), plenty of cheese and the sauce was decent. And...it was huge. I wrapped the unfinished slices and froze them for future lunches.

And the cold brewsky in my frosted mug made me a happy camper.

This was the best I could do with a Wyoming sunset. But another terrific day of memorable sights on my journey back home was completed with a lot of contentment. I end another day as a Happy Camper. Tomorrow, another early start for a five hour, 355 mile drive to Gering, Nebraska. Hope to see you there.

"The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

4 comments:

  1. Charlie, lots of excitement with the posted signs indicating a fire ahead. That would have stressed me out. Hope to see you in Lancaster on August 11.
    John and Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John, looking forward to getting together with you and the gang. It's been a long time.

      Delete
  2. A couple of things crossed my mind while reading this blog and looking at the pics: 1 - when I saw the bridge over the Snake River I thought "what if Charlie took the Evel Knievel route of crossing the river?" , and then at the mention of the High Desert I thought that now you may be referred to as the "High Plains Drifter." But, in the end, there was that beautiful sunset! Must have been nice to see after that pizza and brew! Happy trails!
    Gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gene, you conjure up a lot images for names. One reader thought "Old Man River" was good cause I keep rolling along. Stay safe yourself.

      Delete