Tuesday, July 30, 2024

07/24 to 07/25 Garden of 1000 Buddhas, Missoula, MT

 07/24 to 07/25

To Missoula, Montana

Jim & Mary's RV Park

Garden of 1000 Buddhas


Today's journey to Missoula, Montana, along SR-93 took me through the Bitterroot Range, which is part of the larger Rocky Mountains. I drove through Bitteroot and Lolo National Forest. The views were breathtaking and why I love driving. I've chosen some of the more striking photos taken as I pointed and shot while driving (and yes, while keeping my eyes on the road.).






Arriving at Jim & Mary's Campground, its first appearance immediately won my high praises. Campers were greeted with flowers, potted plant, and well maintained, trimmed and cared for garden plots full of color.



As I registered, I was eager to meet Jim and/or Mary to share my impressions. I was told that Jim and Mary haven't owned the campground for over twenty years. The "new" and current owner, Jennifer, was the person with whom I shared my impressions and who appreciated my thoughts. 

The campground was much bigger than I imagined. As I was only spending one night, I had no interest in sight seeing. The laundry and impressive showers (clean, well laid out, roomy, well lit and everything in white porcelain tile) were just across the road from my site, so that made everything perfect. Again, the attention to detail was most noticeable.

My shaded, level site with just water and electricity was spacious.


However, the most notable event I won't soon forget was the fast moving wind storm that easily had gust to 50-55 mph but very little rain. My weather apps accurately timed the event which lasted perhaps fifteen minutes. Fortunately, I had nothing outside, the awning was in and with a new roof vent/skylight closed, I had nothing to worry about...I hoped.

I use the wand that controls my slatted shade over the sink as a seismograph. With the strong winds outside, Winnie was rockin' and a rollin'. I combined two 10-second clips below to show you the extent of the movement. Any noise you hear is either thunder or debris falling from the trees above. No damage, thank you. Shortly thereafter, all power in the area was knocked out for the rest of the night. I used my generator for AC until 10:00 p.m.  


The next day, still with no power, I packed up and took off for the Garden of One Thousand Buddhas The Garden is located just 20 miles further north and on my way to Soap Lake RV Park in Washington. Click on the link above for details and great photos. Unless you're into Tibetan Buddhism and the meditation that promotes inner peace, compassion, and enlightenment, you'll find the concept of this garden very deep. The concept and purpose of the Garden reads: 

"Within the Garden of One Thousand Buddhas rests the inspiring central figure of Yum Chenmo. She is also known as The Great Mother of Transcendent Wisdom. One thousand Montana-made images of the Buddha, arranged in the shape of an eight-spoked Dharma wheel, encircle Yum Chenmo. In addition to the thousand Buddhas, one thousand stupas surmount the two exterior throne walls, creating the outer rim of the Dharma wheel, or Dharmachakra. This is a meaningful ancient symbol from India which has come to be associated with the Buddha’s teachings (dharma) when he “turned the wheel (chakra),” setting in motion the teachings on the path to liberation and enlightenment. The dharma wheel literally represents the wheel of transformation; spiritual change; the turning toward awakening. The directions in which the eight spokes radiate represent the Buddhist noble eight-fold path of right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration."



Located in the Jocko Valley, the Garden was envisioned and founded by Gochen Tulku Sang-ngag Rinpoche, a Tibetan Buddhist teacher, in 2000.






You are greeted by the Eight Great Stupas of Buddha's life. Stupas are Buddhist monuments usually housing sacred relics of highly accomplished spiritual beings. 

These were constructed during the Buddha's lifetime to commemorate eight major events in the Buddha's life. In each stupa is placed an image of Tara, a Buddha who vowed to always appear in female form in order to benefit beings to alleviate suffering and fear.

This sign you can't read describes those eight events:
  1. The Lotus Blossom Stupa of the Buddha's Birth
  2. The Enlightenment Stupa when, at the age of 35, achieved complete enlightenment under the Bodhi tree;
  3. The Stupa of the Turning of the Wheel of Dharma
  4. The Great Miracles Stupa; at age 50 he responded to non-believers by displaying a different miracle every day for fifteen days.
  5. The Stupa of the Descent from Tushita Heaven
  6. The Stupa of Reconciliation
  7. The All-Victorious Stupa
  8. The Parinirvana Stupa


The primary mission is to offer a place for meditation and spiritual practice, as well as to promote global peace and environmental harmony.




Each attached placard bears the name of an individual or family underneath which is the inscription: "May All Beings Benefit."

 The Garden is designed in the shape of an eight-spoked Dharma wheel, an important symbol in Buddhism representing the Noble Eightfold Path to enlightenment.



A path leads to the center of the Dharma where stands the Great Stupa of Dharmakaya, a traditional Buddhist monument that houses sacred relics and symbolizes enlightened mind.




Yu;m Chenmo (Great Mother) who represents the unity of great compassion and transcendent wisdom, which is enlightenment itself.


One of the eight spokes that represent the 8-fold path to enlightenment.

The Prayer Flag Mound above the Garden. Visitors are welcome to visit or hang their own prayer flags with the rest. Prayer flags are hoisted to arise prosperity, good fortune and positive energy around us

This visit in a most peaceful and serene setting definitely lends itself to self-meditation and inner peace. I don't think I came away "enlightened" but inner peace has always been a part of my being. I bought a T-shirt, tipped a donation and was on my way to Soap Lake RV park in Soap Lake, Washington five hours away. See you there.

"May all beings have happy minds. Whatever living beings there may be, whether they are weak or strong, omitting none, the great or the mighty, medium, short, or small, the seen and the unseen, those living near and far away, those born and to be born, may all beings have happy minds." The Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama,

 


8 comments:

  1. The photos of the Buddhist Garden did look very serene, it must have been a good contrast with the previous evening's windstorm. Glad there was no damage to you or Winnie from that! Gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gene. Yes, if I didn't have a 4½ hour drive ahead of me, that would have been a perfect time to just sit and veg out and contemplate the muses.

      Delete
  2. You never cease to amaze me. Yet another side of your complex "being" that I didn't know existed. Totally unexpected to find a Buddhist shrine out in the hinterlands--leave it to you to find it, and do such a great job explaining through words and pictures its gentle philosophy. Namaste, dear Charlie. XOXOXO DW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Ms. D, a "complex being" I am. So deep with hidden attributes and qualities only the Gods and those that transcend the limitations of their own spirituality can know and appreciate. Mere mortals have yet to know my inner being. Thuk-je che. Khyed la smö pa che

      Delete
  3. what a spectacular journey you are on, Charlie. And most of all thanks for taking us along with you. Great photos and narratives. You da traveling man!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Glad you take the time to read them.

      Delete
  4. Ha! And you will still vote for Trump, the anti-Buddha? I'm Stupafied...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, my Brainwashed Democrat cousin. I'll respond to this privately.

      Delete