Monday, July 29, 2024

07/23 to 07/24 Craters of the Moon, Idaho

 07/23 to 07/24

To Arco, Idaho

Craters of the Moon

National Park

This trip really put Winnie through her paces. The speed limits were 70 mph for cars, 60 for trucks. I chose my average speed to remain around 65 mph. But up and over mountains with the sharp curves and switchbacks I was forced to keep my speed at 40-45. The steep descents also required reduced speeds.


My route, SR-20, took me through many scenic and fascinating geological areas. I passed the Island Park Reservoir and traveled along the shore of the Snake River and its plain formed by ancient volcanic activity and is characterized by its lava fields and sagebrush steppe. The Island Park Caldera is one of the largest calderas in the world which was formed by a super volcanic eruption around 2 million years ago. The fascinating views were a mix of high mountains, volcanic landscapes, and the wide-open spaces of the Snake River Plain. The Pioneer Mountains came into view as I approached Arco, Idaho. Their jagged peaks were rugged and impressive.

Once again, I followed my procedure of leaving a campground between 8:30 and 9:00 am. My arrival time in early afternoon allowed me to detour to the local attraction. In this case, Craters of the Moon National Preserve. Before I checked in, I drove about 20 miles further to gathers its wonders. Craters of the Moon was established as a national monument in 1924 by President Calvin Coolidge to protect its unique volcanic features.

In Yellowstone, one learns about geysers, hot springs, mud pots, fumaroles, geothermal areas, canyons, waterfalls, rivers, lakes and mountains. At the Craters of the Moon Monument and Preserve one learns (and sees) lava flows, cinder cones, spatter cones, lava tubes, craters and fissures, lava cascades and pressure ridges frozen in time. All this formed by a series of volcanic eruptions over the past 15,000 years.


In this 750,000 acre preserve, there's a deep relationship between the Shoshonean peoples, or Newenee and these lava fields. Archeological evidence and oral traditions both indicate the Shoshone likely witnessed some volcanic eruptions along the Great Rift.

The Great Rift in Idaho is a prominent geological feature that stretches for approximately 52 miles and is characterized by a series of fissures, cinder cones, lava fields, and other volcanic formations. This rift is a significant part of the Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve. It was formed by volcanic activity over the past 15,000 years, with the last eruptions occurring about 2,100 years ago.

After visiting the Visitors Center, I drove to the fee booth and showed the Ranger my National Park pass and continued on my way.

The landscape was formed during eight major eruptive periods over the past 15,000 years, with the most recent eruption occurring about 2,000 years ago. The eruptions were caused by the Great Rift, a series of deep cracks in the earth's crust

Driving along the 7-mile road that was well signed, you are awed by the massive boulders that were literally thrust from the eruption, created this moon-like landscape and has been here for thousands of years.


Patches of rock that were part of the lava flow, cooled, hardened and became part of one of the best-preserved flood basalt areas in the continental United States.

In the 1960s, NASA used the Craters of the Moon as a training ground for astronauts preparing for the Apollo missions. The volcanic terrain was considered similar to the surface of the Moon

Despite the harsh environment, Craters of the Moon is home to a surprising variety of plants and animals. Species like the dwarf buckwheat and the Great Basin rattlesnake have adapted to the lava-covered landscape


In The Devil's Orchard. The name was coined by Robert Limbert, an early explorer and promoter of the park, who described the area as a "garden fit for the devil himself."


A Cinder Garden. These polka-dot vegetation amid the dark cinders would catch anyone's eye. Some of the vegetation can include monkeyflowers, wild onions, and dwarf buckwheat.
Although I did not get out to get a closer look, I guessed this vegetation to be a species of lichen, they're presence on the barren soil here could mean they're the type called Foliose Lichen. They must thrive on the barren volcanic soil. These lichen species are well-adapted to the harsh conditions of the area, including extreme temperatures, intense sunlight, and limited water. These lichens have a leaf-like structure and are slightly raised from the soil.
The Inferno Cone is composed primarily of cinders, which are small fragments of lava that were ejected during volcanic eruptions. These cinders accumulate around the vent, forming a steep-sided cone.
The cone rises approximately 164 feet above the surrounding lava fields. The summit provides panoramic views of the Craters of the Moon lava fields, the Snake River Plain, and nearby volcanic features.







The entire experience was more than just an array of rocks, boulders and pebble strewn about. 

Take a look at this 3-minute drone footage overview I downloaded from the National Park Service to get an appreciation of this magnificent geological landscape.




This KOA in Arco, population of 946, was a barren, dry campground with, for me, just water and electricity; no shade. It may have had some amenities but for my overnight stay, the AC was my primary concern. 

As with all my stops for this adventure, I start my drive early in the day, reach my destination some 4+ hours later and after a minimal set up, spend the rest of the day and evening composing my blogs. A routine that works quite nicely for me.

My next stop will be again in Montana. My location near the Wyoming border necessitates going through Montana then through the Idaho pan handle to reach Washington. So tomorrow night it'll be Missoula, MT. See you there.

"A weird and scenic landscape, peculiar to itself." ~Robert Limbert: An early explorer who played a key role in promoting Craters of the Moon.

4 comments:

  1. That is some interesting landscape you saw there!! The drone footage was amazing. Thanks for sharing that my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. So nice to hear from you. Hope you are well and enjoying life. Nice also that I can share my travels with you and know they're appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Love the video so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And you would love the trails and hiking that would give a much deeper appreciation for the terrain than I could through pictures. xoxo

      Delete