Friday, July 26, 2024

07/25 to 07/26 Soap Lake RV Park, Soap Lake, WA

 07/25 to 07/26

To Soap Lake RV Park

Soap Lake, Washington

Another long day of travel but with it came so many visual rewards. I so enjoy soaking in the sights as I drive.

Once again as I travel scenic highways, I find the journey following the course of a river. 

Rivers I've traveled along side of include the Yellowstone, Columbia, Powder, Snake, Green and now, this one, the Clark Forke River. It does give an added sense of relaxation to the drive.

With my thoughts drifting into the past, I wonder what it was like surveying, planning and actually cutting through the original landscape for future highways and the railroad.

Even though I majored in biology, the geological features encountered everyday never failed to amaze and provide me with so many WOW moments.

Road construction. I've encountered these a couple of times where an ingenious system of traffic lights replace humans dictating when it is safe to continue. Back home, the wait is mere minutes. What I've experienced have been waits upwards to 10 minutes. I placed the arrow to show the break in the trees where I watched for the on-coming traffic; that took many minutes for them to reach this point. They are following a pilot car which usually proceeds about 30 mph. It will turn around and lead me many miles ahead to the other traffic light. The process is repeated all day.

Here is a beautiful example of what I've experienced for a good portion of this trip. That of the highways and railroads following the course of the river. In this shot it's the Clark Fork River from Missoula, Montana, heading westward. As it continues into Idaho and then Washington, it follows the Spokane River through the city of Spokane.




Soap Lake is a natural lake located in central Washington state, near the town of the same name (Population ±1,700) . The lake is known for its high mineral content and slightly alkaline water, giving it a soapy feel, which is how it got its name.


 
When I arrived, there was no building or office for me to check in and register. No one cam to check on my presence. Luckily my confirmation letter had the site number on it. I found it, set up, spent the night and the next morning on the road again.


The site was level, all gravel with full hookups. Behind me was Soap Lake.

From the main road, the place would have passed for a parking lot for RVs.



With mostly fifth-wheels and Class As, I'm guessing those folks were seasonal. I was content with an overnight stay.

A cloudless sky at sundown didn't help to make a post-card view.

Next stop Olympic Peninsula KOA in Port Angeles, WA. Washington State is so big, I'll be at another tomorrow night in Port Angeles and the Olympic Peninsula KOA. Hope to see you there.

 "Our interstate highways are wonderful for moving goods but not for inspection of the countryside."
John Steinbeck in "Travels with Charley: In Search of America"

4 comments:

  1. So, Charley, you traveled with John Steinbeck, did you? Great pics. I was looking at the campground. Pretty sparse by our standards, eh?
    Like I said before you are on a journey of a lifetime. Enjoy and thanks for all the great blogs. J&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J. Yes, many campgrounds, even KOAs vary in "looks" This one did the best they could with the environment they were given. LOL. Barren but that lake was the draw. When I was there, there was a stiff breeze off the lake that made it quite pleasant...but not for awnings.

      Delete
  2. Funny thing, when you mentioned you couldn't help but say "wow" at the scenery, I did exactly the same thing when I saw the geographical base of the mountain. I went "wow," and then read that you also went "wow." (Like minds think alike................?) Yes, the camping ground was very utilitarian but, in some ways, maybe better since you don't have to go to as much trouble and fanfare to setup? Maybe, having these little no-fills camping spots helps campers a lot, as long as they don't make it there permanent home. Well, Aug 1 over here on the East Coast and July was very hot and more like August. So here's hoping that August will be like September and my favorite season of all that only boomers know about and maybe not many of those either: Indian Summer! That will be exciting for you as travel closer to home. Once again, happy trails. S (woman of few words)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, S. Time marches on and waits for no man. As I write this, I'm in Nebraska working on more back-blogs.

    ReplyDelete