Sunday, June 23, 2024

06/21 to 06/28 Back to Hickory Ridge RV Resort-Part 1

06/21 to 06/28

Back to Hickory Ridge RV Resort  

With a slight detour and a stop at BJ's for "essentials," the trip back to Hickory Ridge was uneventful but the days continued hot with temps in low 90's

I was eager to return to Hickory Ridge for some relaxation and await the company of fellow Hudson Islanders, Dan and Melanie, arriving the following Tuesday. I was also eager to take care of the first important order of business; the installation of two new coach batteries. If I wasn't plugged into shore power, I had no way to run my propane generator if I needed it, nor have the power to keep the frig working. Yes, I have solar panels but I have no faith in them. Hot as the day was, a big thank you to Ray for taking the time to leave his on-going house building project and installing them. What happened on Sunday is the content of this unplanned post.
If you're into Greek mythology, Hecate is the goddess of (among other things, most not good) crossroads and travel. She is a protector of those who journey, often invoked for safe passage and guidance, similar to Christianity's St. Christopher...back in the day. Well, she decided to take the day off, most likely to tend to her other nefarious activities that she is known for. So, within in TWO DAYS:
  1. When backing out Ray's driveway, my tire pressure monitor signaled low tire pressure in one of the two rear passenger side tires. - Leaky valve stem needs replacement
  2. Installing new carbon monoxide detector, wires need a connector.
  3. Opening cabinet door for a morning coffee pod, it broke free from its hinges. -Screw holes need repairing.
  4. Was going to have a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. All prepared, stove lit and began cooking. Checking progress...flame went out. All switches for stove and propane tank turned off and on again and again, tank 3/4 full. No flame AGAIN. Valve replaced in Florida in March.
  5. With pending severe weather accompanied by high winds predicted, I withdrew the awning, took in my wooden flag and chairs were put away. All secure, right? Thankfully, the thunderstorms did not materialize but the winds, 20 mph gusting to 44 mph had arrived. One such gust sucked open my closed roof vent, blew it back on its track, broke off and flung the outer acrylic cover 50' away and cracked the inner pane. -New roof vent needed but temporary rain-proof fix needed immediately.
1. Valve Stem:

Fortunately, it was the outer tire. Ray's nephew, Jordan, working at the house stopped by and got to work on the tire by removing it and...

...tried to remove the valve stem to replace it. Without the right tire tools, that wasn't going to happen. He took the tire, drove 30 minutes to the tire shop and completed the work. Valve stem problem taken care of. Thank you, Jordan. I finally pulled into Hickory Ridge Campground at 7:00 p.m.

2. Carbon Monoxide Detector Replacement:


CO Monitors have a built in EOL (End of Life) alarm and are designed to be in service 5 years. On two past occasions in CPP and once when I was in Watkins Glen, the 89 decibel, ear piercing beep indicated it was time. 
Removing the old detector had this type of wiring configuration.

The new detector came without any connector. The Plan B splicing worked nicely and detector is in place and operational. They recommend testing "this alarm's operation after each storage period, before each trip and at least once per week during use."

3. Cabinet Door Repair:

Heavy duty, expensive hinges though they may be, the constant opening and closing is dependent solely on the secure fit of the screws into a laminated particle board door.  

My toothpick inserts of the past last only so long. This repair involves filling holes with Gorilla Glue and wood shavings from kindling I store in addition to toothpicks. After 24 hrs. protruding sticks will be razored level and door will be rehung. Yes, I'm aware of many other ways to fix the  problem, but as my friend, Epictetus, the Greek philosopher said, "Here and now, one must work with what one has at hand."

4. No propane gas flowing. 

This has been a problem in the past but it was supposed to have been repaired. I've had no problems up to this point. Why now? I have no plan to fix the situation, I just won't cook using the indoor stove. Plan B IS in effect: use my outdoor butane gas stove when needed.

5. Roof Vent Damaged:

Now this is gonna be a challenge. My temporary fix will have to do until I figure something out. I'll be calling the insurance company tomorrow for details. The best I could do was to go up on the roof and duct tape everything I thought would cause a leaking situation. (Don't tell my kids I went up on the roof; actually, I'll find out if they read my blogs).

The winds were really brisk and continuous from about 10 a.m. to well into the evening hours. Winnie was rocking all day. It was the strongest gust of the day that tore open the roof vent and sent part of it flying. I did not know there was a durable, double acrylic cover.




I really thought the entire top of the vent was gone. Thankfully, to me, it was minor.

Another piece found nearby.


Began taping layer upon layer around the perimeter of the entire vent to keep it shut and then...

...taped all cracks where I thought water would be able to seep in.



Passing showers will tell the tale.


Not pretty, but...it'll have to do.

As expected, a shower passed through and, so far, so good. Wind driven rain, however, may tell a different story.

Well, enough of one day's activities. Friday, was the tire, Sunday it all hit the fan as you just read. But there was Saturday, a real hot and humid day with a slight breeze. Ray and Kathy decided to take a ride and 3 miles later, stopped by for a visit. We decided on their late afternoon lunch and my early dinner trip to Bill Grays Tap Room. Click on the link to see their menu. Good stuff.





A
My thank you dinner for my two long-time (55+ years) friends.

A bacon cheeseburger (they "smash" the burger). The bacon was crisp as were the side of delicious onion rings. 


Practically, next door, a favorite from the past. Last time camping at Red Rock Campground (July, 2021) nearby, the gang visited Abbotts.

Thank you, Ray, for dessert. They didn't have butter pecan that day but a healthy portion of soft-serve it was.

I'll end this post on this delicious note. This unexpected post is for me to look back on and add it to the many other "mishaps" and RV happenings that beset all RVers at one time or another. There'll be more to come (blogs, not mishaps), so stay tuned and stay safe. All I'm getting from back home are NWS warnings of severe this and severe that. Stay dry and stay cool.

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." — Epictetus

13 comments:

  1. What a mess Charlie! But you managed all these issues with the right spirit! good luck for the rest of the trip! we think of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adriana. Yes, things happen; just a matter of how and when to repair but you have to move forward.

      Delete
  2. Well, Charlie, maybe it's time for a new RV? So sorry you are having so many issues and you have a long way to go. Thanks to Ray and his son for heling you out. Thanks what friends are for. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New RV? Don't think so. Winnie and I are together "til death do us part." Correction for you. Ray's nephew, Jordan, not son. He made that day a lot easier to deal with.

      Delete
  3. Well, Charlie, as the King of Siam in the "King and I" once said: "'Tis a puzzlement." You see what happens when go chasing after strange gods, uh, goddesses. You should have stuck with Christopher. Yikes. I can't believe all that befell you. I would have been whimpering under the picnic table by now never to be seen again. Well, not really. I am impressed that you seem to be smiling while taking care of business. You are "an amazement." Note to Charlie's children: This Christmas, get him a St. Christopher's medal. I guess New York is saying "get on with this Journey of the 9 Stickers!" When is that going to happen? Well, all in all, you are safe and that's what matters. This will make for great dinner conversation next time we see you. May the road rise up to meet you, happy trails, bon voyage, etc., etc., etc. (also from the King and I). Here's a hug, seems like you might need one. SJG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, S. Onward we go; business as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Do you travel much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or as the Harley bikers say, "keep the rubber down." I'm scheduled to have roof vent repairs done in Grand Forks, ND 7/15th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be time for Winnie2 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This IS Winnie 2. There won't be a Winnie 3

      Delete
  8. Charlie it is always an adventure for you. Embrace the challenge and you rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you'll read one of these days, everything taken care on and off I go. Friday night in Streetsboro, OH. Very tight on time to write blogs.

      Delete