Friday, June 14, 2024

06/02 to 06/12 Croton Point Park

06/02 to 06/12

CROTON POINT PARK

As I begin my summer RV season I cannot help but look back on the month of May while Winnie was in storage and I was a domesticated apartment dweller. It was memorable and something I could transition to quite smoothly on a permanent basis. Alas, that day will come and hopefully, it will be me who will make that decision...and, I am in no rush. 
  • My dinners and get-togethers with friends, my birthday celebration and medical appointments crowded my social calendar and together with what follows would have merited a blog unto itself;
  • My son and family were in town on two different occasions;
  • I was able to visit with both granddaughters who came in from Florida and California;
  • My grandson graduated from the University of Indiana's Kelley School of Business;
  • I was able to watch daughter play bocce in Poughkeepsie and will soon be moving into semi-finals. These were in evenings when she was not playing on two USTA tennis teams;
  • I dined at my favorite sushi restaurant in Hastings-on-Hudson nine different times with a total of fifteen wonderful, sushi-loving friends. I've known Tony and family at Sakura Garden for seventeen years and they continue to make my visits special and memorable always treating me and guests like family.
My birthday appetizer: lobster salads and lobster rolls for three courtesy of the red fella on the plate.

All in all, just a wonderful moment in time to be thankful for. I am blessed and appreciative to have been able to experience it all. And now, to move on.
 
With Winnie temporarily parked in the lower lot of my apartment complex, food and supplies were loaded for my thirteen day stay in Croton Point's RV Park. 

Hudson Islanders Rally 06/06 to 06/12th - The first rally of our season has traditionally been held here in Croton. It's been about 17 years that the group has enjoyed the get-together. This is the ninth for me. I will miss their next one scheduled in August in Vermont. Upon completing my 9-state adventure, I will join the group and their third rally in Lancaster, PA. September will see us once again together here at CPP. For this rally, ten RVs and their fifteen owners are visiting:
Sue and Gene - New to the club this year
Johnny, Jr.
Roberta (and visitor, Sue)
Roberta and Erve
Dan and Melanie
Tony and Doreen
Larry
Charlie
Jack
John and Nina

That week in Croton has ended and I'm beginning and ending this blog as I sit in the densely wooded campground in Watkins Glen State Park. The canopy is providing wonderful shade and the temperature will hover in the mid-seventies. More about the beauty in my next blog. A problem I must avoid in the future is not writing my experiences very soon after they occur. My week with our Hudson Islanders group, the subject of this blog, was filled with daily non-stop activities that had me "busy" day and night. So much so, my readers will be spared the minutiae of each experience. Some photos will have to suffice. I took a lot of candid shots of those in attendance but I was not convinced that they would like or would approve, thus very few are included. For me, a truly memorable, fulfilling time and the perfect beginning of a very long and exciting journey.

The highlights:

BOCCE TOURNAMENT. One evening I ran up to Poughkeepsie to watch daughter, Marybeth, and her team win the semi-finals for bocce held at Cosimo's Trattoria  .


A few evenings later, the fortunate timing of other family events, including sister Judy's birthday, enabled the entire family to attend the finals.  Alas, victory was not in the cards that night.

L. to R. Sara, Judith, Silvia, Charlie, Beca, Carlo, Marybeth, Chuck, Mary, Aaron

The pride and joy of our family:

Sara - Miami, FL

Beca - Santa Ana, CA




















Aaron (with photo-bomb) - Manhattan, NY

For my 9-state trip, Carlo presented me with "sustenance" for celebrating along the way. Tasters notes are, as usual, very appealing. I'm always intrigued by the language and descriptions, many times accompanied by a chuckle.  I'll let you know if I can detect:

The Blanc de Blancs was used for President Nixon’s 1972 “Toast to Peace” with China’s Premier Zhou Enlai. Schramsberg’s sparkling wines have been served at official State functions by every U.S. Presidential administration since.

Tasters notes indicate the aroma to be Cassis, cherries, notes of licorice with hints of mocha, sandalwood and coriander spice. The taste is full-bodied with juicy red and dark fruits, mocha and a rich chewy finish.

The Contado Riserva is made from 100% Aglianico grapes grown in the southeastern region of Molise, Italy. Ruby-red in color, aromas of ripe fruit and almonds complement undertones of leather and wood. On the palate, it is mellow and velvety with well-balanced tannins and a long finish


This well-structured sparkling Prosecco stands out for its luminous straw yellow hue and for its emphatic yet stylish mousse. The bouquet is redolent of Golden Delicious apple, while the palate is appealingly marked by aromatic notes of honey, black liquorice, and acacia blossom.

POT LUCK SUPPER: I missed the Meet and Greet on Friday due to my trip to Poughkeepsie but did enjoy the Pot Luck Supper Saturday night.
 
In a nutshell, or in this case, in a plate, wonderful selections were available. My choices: two types of macaroni salad, pulled pork, meatloaf and mashed potatoes and shrimp.


IMPROMPTU PIZZA from nearby Pronto Pizza in the Shoprite Plaza.

Roberta

Larry. Thanks for the homemade Limoncello. Outstanding as usual.

Jack and Charlie

Tony and Doreen

Johnny

NIGHTLY CAMPFIRES. 
Yes, as it burned, it did fit into Johnny's Solo Stove and... 

...no part of the log fell onto the ground thanks to the expert campfire prowess of Jack the Fire Meister. 

A SURPRISE VISIT AND ENTERTAINING EVENING: Tony's nephew, Steve and wife, Maria, visited our group and once again provided us with relaxing accordion music. From our rally last June.


One evening while playing, unbeknown to us David Young was in an RV across the road. He heard Steve playing, grabbed his recorder and walked over to join him. The resulting jam session was terrific and mesmerizing. David who started playing the recorder in third grade in Brooklyn is know for playing two recorders simultaneously. His YouTube channel is David Young Music. 
Taken at night, this one video from Roberta is a sample but difficult to view. See if you can catch him separate his recorder and play them simultaneously; With your sound up, at least  I can share the beauty of what we heard. 

At the end, David returned to his RV and brought over copies of one of his albums to sign and give each one of us.

Well, the memories continue and another week crammed with experiences came to an end. If you're around for the next ride, I'm off and will wind up in Lancaster, PA for the next Hudson Islander's Rally in August. Stay well, happy and safe. 

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Seneca

15 comments:

  1. Loved the accordion! Especially Bette Midler's "The Rose." But then, I
    'm partial to the squeeze box--I played one, too! "Lady of Spain" watch out! LOLXoXo "the Deezer" Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazed me is how naturally Steve picked up and joined in on all the tunes David began...so natural, a gift.

      Delete
  2. Again, I am so jealous. Wish I had been there for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great blog and Croton rally. Thanks for sharing the butter pecan sipping cream! Safe travels. RF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes!! I forgot to highlight that. Between Larry's Limoncello, the butter pecan sipping cream and the box of wine, life is good.

      Delete
  4. Double recorders! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I made a mistake saying he separated and played two. No, he brought two with him. Truly gifted.

      Delete
  5. I continue to enjoy hearing about your adventures. We have been to Watkins Glen State Park many times and it never disappoints. It is beautiful there with many hiking trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Just posted my stay at Watkins Glen. It's a must see for anyone traveling the Seneca Wine Trail.

      Delete
  6. Alas, here I am. Enjoyed every word of above blog but, Charlie, those wine descriptions - a chewy end, overtones of leather and wood, notes of licorice - are they from the label or your own brilliant mind and story-telling talent? Also, enjoyed the history of the wines and their (they're, there) part in world affairs. Never knew about that. Never thought about that. It gives pause. Ah, such nasty little wines. As for David, what a treasure to have around on a summer's night. He's quite a pied-piper and his talent so remarkable but, then again, he's a Brooklyn guy! (and I'm a Brooklyn gal). Then there's that fabulous family. I wish you would marry me so I could become a member of your clan. If not, is there an unattached Uncle Bob floating around somewhere? (Diane, are you listening? Private joke.) Well, as we know, the Journey of 9 Stickers has begun. Be sure to indicate the highlights as they happen so that nothing gets lost. Much love from these here parts. PS/didn't realize granddaughter was a member of the USTA team. Ah, so much talent in the Rossi family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a complete commentary. They're valuable to me as I work to make the next one better. One correction, however, It's Marybeth...daughter...not granddaughter, that's the USTA player.

      Delete
  7. Caro Charlie, ho apprezzato moltissimo questo diario dei tuoi spostamenti avvenuti per i vari compleanni , le foto che hai messo e in particolare la musica dei due amici con la fisarmonica e il flauto . Quanta energia c’è ancora in te . Ho potuto godere anch’io con te perché ho letto tutto in italiano . Grazie con affetto e buona continuazione.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara Germana. Sono così felice che tu possa tradurre e goderti i viaggi con me. Ricevo commenti anche da Adrianna e Giorgio. Anche questo mi rende felice. Abbi cura di te e rimani in salute. Adoro Charlie

      Delete
  8. Always great experiences and never boring! You really have to be greatful for all these gifts! Have thousand of days like these full of love and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much. It's good to hear from you and that my writing doesn't bore you. LOL. As for being grateful? No one is more appreciative and thankful for the blessings I have. From health to family and friends, I'm a very lucky guy. Love.

    ReplyDelete