Saturday, June 15, 2024

06/13 to 06/15 - Watkins Glen State Park

 06/13 to 06/15

    WATKINS GLEN STATE PARK

Thank you, Mr. Whitman. I am of like mind; I am "strong and content [as] I travel the open road." Here is my "Open Road."

My stops heading west June 13th to July 29th and...

...my stops returning home July 29th to August 18th.




The trip from CPP to Watkins Glen was along route 17. Long as it may have been, the beauty of the surrounding country side with its creeks, lakes and forests never cease to leave me in awe. New York State...what a pleasure to drive (north).

The Finger Lakes are a group of eleven long, narrow, roughly north–south lakes located directly south of Lake Ontario in an area called the Finger Lakes region in New York. As indicated, Watkins Glen is at the southwestern tip of Lake Seneca.

I'm on my way to Holley, NY to visit long time friends and fellow Hudson Islanders, Kathy and Ray. Ray was a student in Hendrick Hudson High School when I did my student teaching there 60 years ago. They've recently moved from Florida and are building their new home close to Kathy's family. 

The campground was a tad difficult to locate. Once in Watkins Glen I had to stop and ask. Averaging 1,400 feet the surrounding mountains are a stark difference as water from Watkins Creek flows and cascades down 19 waterfalls, some 390' to the valley floor; a very impressive job of glacial carving. If you'd like to view the beautiful scenery visit this relaxing video by Dan Treks. A video that will take you on the 1.5-mile Gorge Trail hike with 800 steps as you climb and view the incredible scenery, visit: Hike the Gorge Trail. No, I passed and enjoyed the videos.

As you can see, the campground is laid out in six loops named after nations that make up the Iroquois Confederacy. My site 59 was in the Mohawk Village and all sites around me were occupied. Very busy. With so much to see in the area, few folks remained at their sites. For example, tonight (6/14) the Ferrari Challenge North America will take place.

My site was on a slant with only electricity. Fortunately, my water tank is full and my black tank empty, so tolerating the slant for just two nights worked out fine.

So that's it for this stop. See you in Holley, New York at the Hickory Ridge RV Resort. Meanwhile, stay happy, healthy and safe. 

"Every now and then, when the world sits just right, a gentle breath of heaven fills my soul with delight and awe, like I'm standing before a waterfall." Henry Ward Beecher.

6 comments:

  1. sounds very quiet and peaceful-nice! Did your fridge function okay on a slant? Say HI to Kathy and Ray for us xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything worked A-OK. And I will send regards to Ray & Kathy.

      Delete
  2. Have a great and safe trip Charlie! We follow you and share with you all the amazing things you will see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Adriana. Excited that you're joining me from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondering if Chuck, Silvia and Aaron will walk over to you and visit from Spain.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they will come to Italy for few days because they'll flow back to NY from Milan.

      Delete