Friday, April 5, 2024

04/01 to 04/09 - 2024 Solar Eclipse-Part One

2024 Solar Eclipse
Paducah, KY

April 1 to April 9, 2024

I decided to break this blog up into two parts. Part One is my 3-day trip from Clermont, FL to Paducah, KY, including stops in Hahira, GA, Acworth, GA and Altamont, TN, each to be summarized below. Here is a link that will show the PATH OF THE 2024 ECLIPSE. All of the contiguous 48 states will be able to see a partial eclipse. 18 million to be exact. Hope you get the opportunity. Part Two will include my stay in Duck Creek RV Park and the 4/8th eclipse.

Before sharing the upcoming adventure, I wanted to add some memories from my last days at Elite in Clermont. With the crowd now numbering five, Fran/Walter, Kathy/Ray and I took advantage of one last trip to Carrabba's and a farewell dinner. 

For me, it was Lobster Ravioli: Cooked lobster meat, mushrooms, butter, shallots and light cream. The ravioli is then topped with diced tomatoes and served in a white wine cream sauce. 

The evening "campfires" were adjusted to the crowd in attendance. For the first time, I setup and tried my Christmas present from MB/Carlo, the mini, reduced smoke Solo Stove. Solo Stoves are engineered to maximize airflow and burn wood more efficiently. They often employ a double-wall design with vents that create a secondary combustion, resulting in cleaner, more complete burning of wood and minimal smoke. During my final days at the resort, Fran/Walter and I enjoyed the ambience of the fire and the reduced amount of heat provided.

Along with the wood pellets intended as fuel, I also received a bundle of cut and split Juniper logs. Too big to be inserted into the 7" x 8½" mini stove, so...

...I cut and split each log into smaller pieces. These, in turn, had to be cut smaller to fit and burn safely and efficiently in the stove. The fragrant aroma of cedar was a bonus. 

The supply should last me the rest of my twelve day journey back home.

Small pieces served as kindling before the pellets and larger pieces were added. A quick light from a torch and another evening of relaxation was enjoyed.


Extra caution taken as stiff breezes had their way with the direction of the fire. As the flames dwindled to a faint flicker and the embers retained their crimson hue, a ghostly blue flame gently waltzed across the fading coals. 

And finally, a treat from Mother Nature. The local, resident Sandhill Crane family sauntered by.

And now, off I go, a straight shot north up SR-27 to the Florida Turnpike and I-75 to Hihara, Georgia. Each campground has a RED link to provide a glimpse of the campground and its amenities.

CAIN'S CREEK SIDE RV PARK - My first stop after a 220 mile, 3½ hour trip was at Cain's Creek Side RV Park. I should have foreseen it but Easter Monday traffic going north cost me an extra 2+ hours, a total of 5+ hours. A driver's nightmare, for sure. 






Driving along I-75, I was reminded of my encounter with Cordele, GA, seven years ago. My first Winnie met its demise due to an engine fire in a KOA campground entrance as I was registering for my overnight stay.
Yup, that's the campground. Here's a video of the fateful event which I thought about while passing the five exits of Cordele, GA.



To get out of the hours long, stand-still, bumper-to-bumper traffic, I relied on my GPS and left the interstate and traveled the backroads for miles and miles. With the right mental attitude, it was a very pleasant ride. Horse farms and cattle farms along the way provided relaxing, picturesque pastoral scenery.
The rolling hills along back country roads reminded me of ribbon candy enjoyed at Christmas.

Like all of my overnight stays, the campgrounds are usually nothing to write home about. For me, they're a place to rest after driving three or four hours. Electrical power is all I need so other than a few photos, there isn't much to describe. First stop Hahira, GA. With a population of just over 3,000, Hahira is only 2.3 square miles in area. In 2008, citing public safety concerns, the City Council, with a vote by the mayor, passed a clothing ordinance that bans residents from wearing pants that have a top falling below the waist in fit and reveal skin or undergarments. The council was split 2–2, and their tie was broken by the mayor in favor of the ordinance. The origin of the name Hahira is a mystery. Some say it's the name of an African village, others the name of an African goddess. 

A large campground, my site overlooked a large lake...or is it a pond? It's a debate that continues from the 1700's. CLICK HERE to read what is generally agreed upon: Pond vs. Lake.

Having already paid on line and with no one in the office, I drove to my site, hooked up and enjoyed a refreshing gin and tonic after the 230 mile drive. Next morning, on the road by 9 am, I saw and spoke to no one. Strange.
 
The second day of travel was much better but not without its stop and go traffic along the 252 mile route. Thankfully, the weather was pleasant and the scenery beautiful. 

HOLIDAY HARBOR MARINA & RESORT - Holiday Harbor Marina & Resort is located on Lake Alatoona, a U.S. Army Corp of engineers reservoir in Acworth, Georgia. This overnight stay was in a more picturesque campground with my back-in site overlooking the lake.




A minor complaint. The 30-amp socket on the pedestal was installed upside down forcing me to rig up a system whereby my heavy surge protector could be supported without disconnecting. It worked!



This is how it should look:





GREETER FALLS CAMPGROUND - 
The next leg of the journey was a mere 157 miles further north in Altamont, Tennessee, population 1,200. The town's name comes from combining alto (meaning "altitude") and mont (meaning "mountain.").  

Greeter Falls Campground was spread out on either side of road as I approached what I thought would be the office. A lady leaving a building pointed in the direction of my site and offered to lead me to it. Site 49 in Area C. 

No signs of spring yet nor were there signs of other campers. It was pretty desolate.

A gal eventually came by to confirm my arrival. My paperwork was clipped to the nearby tree. With tornado warnings to the north, we did get some rain and a 3-hour power outage. Temperatures dipped into the high 30's but my propane furnace was sufficient to keep things cozy.


Mystery of the Day: When I opened the compartment to get my levelers something caught me eye. I don't know how, when or where this little critter hopped aboard and stowed away for the trip. I didn't notice it when I packed them from the last stopover. I ran scenarios while staring at it but couldn't arrive at an explanation. A gentle nudge or two got him out and on its way.

This collage shows the local attraction about a half mile away, Greeter Falls. Details of the Falls are HERE.
This link for Drone Footage is beautiful. 

My next and last stop will be Paducah, Kentucky, a location chosen to be just inside the path of totality that is to take place on my son's birthday, April 8th. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read. See you in Paducah. Here's a "flyover North America" video showing the path of totality.

"In the presence of a total solar eclipse, we are humbled by the sheer magnitude and beauty of the cosmos. It's a reminder that, despite our differences, we are all part of something much larger." - Unknown


11 comments:

  1. That Lobstah ravioli looks like a true heart healthy meal. That video of your RV burning scared the snot outta me. We had an earthquake here today and I am sure you heard about it. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the most delicious meals usually have an undetected but ever present internal warning as to its heart-healthy nature. I've learned to overcome them.
      I read about that 4.8 shakeup and hopefully all in the area were spared from any major structural problems.

      Delete
  2. hmm...Foreboding breaking news from Altamont local TV station WSKY in Spring of 2025: "Invasive poisonous tree frogs from Georgia invade Greeter Falls Ponds. Residents warned to shelter-in-place until further notice."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're 4 days late with that "foreboding" news. Thankfully, after handling the little critter, the bleeding stopped and the rash and warts on my hands are disappearing. So, I'm good to go. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting read, Charlie. I enjoyed it all. Seeing you torch the fire made me miss the Florida campfires! Loved the video of the path of the eclipse. Enjoy your travels. RF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, R. We'll be doing it again before you know it...and the good part is the number of get-togethers we'll plan to have them.

      Delete
  4. Ciao Charlie, grazie per avermi permesso di leggere in italiano tutto il tuo viaggio .Sei molto dettagliato nelle descrizioni e ciò mi permette di seguirti e di godere delle meraviglie che incontri . Domani è il compleanno del tuo figliolo e tu lo hai ricordato nel tuo blog.Domani farai una lunga video chiamata con lui . Ti saluto con affetto . Ora guardo sulla mappa dov’è il Kentucky. Ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie per le tue gentili parole, A. È una caratteristica interessante che consente tale traduzione. Ero felice che anche la mamma potesse avere l'opportunità di leggere dei miei viaggi. SÌ. domani è un giorno speciale in molti sensi. Un giorno speciale per una persona speciale. Stai bene e sii al sicuro. Con affetto, Charlie

      Delete
  5. Am recovering from working 15 hour days for early primary elections so just now catching up. Hope you see the eclipse. I plan to watch it from Stella's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Charlie, for some reason I am just seeing this. Yay, Tennessee. One of my best friends, know her for more than 40 years, Kathy the Republican, is moving there because it is too liberal up here for her and she can't take it anymore. So, thought you'd like to know. Well, we are looking forward to your return to River Ranch.....................................................Charlotte Dechanelle (haha)

    ReplyDelete