Thursday, February 29, 2024

02/01 to 02/29 - Elite Resorts at Citrus Valley - Part 1


Elite Resorts at Citrus Valley,

Clermont, FL

February 2024

A different entrance sign this year but...

...the entrance to the property remains the same.

My lot 120 is on the corner of  Pine St. and Sunshine Avenue.

As the unusual weather pattern continues here in chilly Florida, night time temperatures hovering in the mid-fifties continue to warrant the use of the heater at night. This is my fourth year renting here and will be joining fellow Hudson Islanders already set up. They include: full time residents, Walt/Fran and Ray/Kathy. Seasonal renters beside me include, Tony/Doreen, Ray/Sue and Roberta. In nearby campgrounds, we have Pat/Jim and Johnny. 

Back home a nor'easter greeted my friends and neighbors with a 6 to 10" snow storm.


We, on the other hand, began our nightly (weather permitting) get-togethers around ye ol campfire. The temperatures certainly welcomed the warmth.


My two month stay here will be highlighted with day trips to nearby attractions, dining out now and then with the gang in the evening and enjoying the warmth and company of campfires. This blog will remind me of my month of February in chilly Florida.

A trip to Disney's Boardwalk... 

...a ride through Disney on the Skyliner.

And a bite to eat.

L. to R. Roberta, Johnny, Doreen, Tony, Sue, Ray, Moi


Tuesdays are "Boys Night Out" where the men of the resort sign up and visit area restaurants. As many as twenty make the trip. One was at Red Robin.

From their website, a Gourmet Cheeseburger and... (You know they don't look like this when presented...)

...a Tower of Onion Rings and dipping sauces to be shared.

Another Tuesday "Boys Night Out" took us to Hurricane Grill where I had...

Coconut Shrimp Tiki Tacos: Coconut crusted jumbo shrimp with diced pineapple, tangy Cole slaw, sweet red chili sauce served with chips and salsa. The day's special was three tacos for the price of two.

Some readers may remember last year's blog where our crowd descended (twice) on Amore Ristorante for delicious authentic Italian cuisine. This evening, thirteen. 

Ladies on one side, spouses opposite. L. to R: Chrissy, Kathy, Pat, Doreen, Sue, Roberta, Johnny, Ray, Tony, Jim, Charlie, Ray and Mike.

Capellini Primavera: Sauteed vegetables with garlic and olive oil served over angel hair pasta.


And Tiramisu for dessert, of course.

Friends drove over from Port Orange, FL to visit and have lunch one day. We went to nearby Mito Sushi & Grill

L. to R. Mark, Mya, Charlie, Zahni and Matt. Zane and Amanda had already left.

Highway 27 Roll: Smoked salmon, "krab", cream cheese deep fried with yummy yummy and eel sauce.

The gang took another trip north into Clermont to Bruster's Ice Cream. Another terrific taste treat. On Thursdays, if you bring your own banana, they'll make a banana split for you at half price. 














And just like that, Leap Year's February 29th was upon us. This LINK has some interesting facts about Leap Year. In the blink of an eye, the first of my two-month stay has gone by. I'll end this month's blog with our trip to Carrabba's in Clermont, about 11 miles north of our campground.

L. to R: Janet, Tony, Johnny, Ray, Walter, Fran, Kathy, Charlie, Doreen. Photo provided by Roberta.
 
Always delicious Caesar Salad

Lobster Ravioli: Ravioli stuffed with lobster and Romano in a white wine cream sauce topped with diced tomatoes. 

Their Spring Special provides patrons with a take-home meal of equal or lesser value than your dine-in entree for just $10.00 My choice was Linguine Primavera: Linguine with asparagus, peas, roasted tomatoes, tossed with basil pesto cream sauce and wood-grilled chicken. And for dessert, Limoncello Bread Pudding: House-made limoncello and vanilla custard-soaked brioche bread with limoncello syrup and vanilla ice cream. Two or three future meals to look forward to.



Roberta and Janet drove to Plant City, FL to catch their annual Spring Strawberry Festival. It's a big deal as you'll see if you follow the link. She was nice enough to bring me a basket. Thank you, Roberta.







And, as mentioned above, with each evening, depending on a multitude of variables, the warmth of a campfires filled the chilly night air.



And so concludes the month of February. I'm anticipating more of the same for the month of March; dining excursions and campfires will dominate the upcoming blog. I look forward to having you join me for the experience. My homework continues to be: my on-line lessons in Italian and making plans and booking my 9-state 
summer itinerary beginning mid-June. Till next time, stay warm, safe, healthy and happy.

“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.” – Luciano Pavarotti

12 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look delicious! Maybe we will cross paths. I'll be in the Ocala area Mar 8-12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing as to your identity but there's just one couple I/we know living in Ocala. Wish you were closer for a day visit. We miss you. Ocala is an hour and a half north of us.

      Delete
  2. I gain weight just looking at the food you guys enjoy! Not fair, I tell ya. Not fair. You all look great!!!! Miss you. J&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a common problem for folks. As mentioned in so many responses, I make sure that what you see is my main (and sometimes, the 2nd) meal of the day. And you, sir, need not worry about gaining weight.

      Delete
  3. Charlie, love your blogs but your right, food & fire at this point in our social circle! Very nicely done! KM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Food, Fire & Friends. That's what it's all about. Think I'll use that in my next blog somehow. Glad you're a part of it.

      Delete
  4. Seems like you've got all the ingredients for a happy journey...who could want more especially in our sparkling years (coulda said golden years but you know what I mean). Love the blogs. Everything, from sunrise to burgers always looks scrumptuous. See ya when ya get back to the old ranch. sjg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, S. Working on my mindset to ease back into another delightful routine: living in an apartment. LOL. Lots to do and to catch up on. See you before you know it.

      Delete
  5. Ooofa, the food! Jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing pretty good with your air-fryer. Wish I had the storage to pack and bring mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie, I just had the chance to read through your blog and I have to say I absolutely love it. The various links that extend our knowledge are great. You are a wonderful neighbor here at Citrus Valley and I look forward to following your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MN for those kind words. Re-reading them myself always bring back those wonderful memories. I'll miss that corner lot and being your neighbor in 2025 but I'm sure our paths will cross. Stay safe.

      Delete